Friday, July 11, 2008

Third Day of Petition Novena to St Anne

Novena to Saint Anne

rayers to be prayed before the days' prayers: O glorious St. Anne, you are filled with compassion for those who invoke you and with love for those who suffer! Heavily burdened with the weight of my troubles, I cast myself at your feet and humbly beg of you to take the present intention which I recommend to you in your special care. Please recommend it to your daughter, the Blessed Virgin Mary, and place it before the throne of Jesus, so that He may bring it to a happy issue. Continue to intercede for me until my request is granted. But, above all, obtain for me the grace one day to see my God face to face, and with you and Mary and all the saints to praise and bless Him for all eternity. Amen.

Pray 1 Our Father, and 1 Hail Mary O Jesus, Holy Mary, St. Anne,

Help me now and at the hour of my death.

Good St. Anne, intercede for me.

THIRD DAY

Hail, good St. Anne, who first responded to the needs of Mary, Mother of our Savior and Queen of Angels. Hail to you and to your husband St. Joachim, who watched over her infancy, presented her to the Lord in the temple and, according to your promise, consecrated her to the service of God. Hail St. Anne, good mother! I rejoice in the marvels you continually perform, because they encourage all to seek your intercession. Good St. Anne, by the great power that God has given you, show yourself my mother, my consoler, my advocate. Reconcile me to the God I have so deeply offended. Console me in my trials; strengthen me in my struggles. Deliver me from danger in my time of need. Help me at the hour of death and open to me the gates of paradise.


The first chapel was built on this site by early settlers in 1658 to house a miraculous statue of St. Anne. The first miracle attributed to the intercession of St. Anne at Beaupré was the cure of a crippled workman in 1658. The story we were told was that the crippled man, not content to merely watch his companions labour all day to build the chapel, decided to help carry the bricks. Unable to walk, he placed a brick in each hand, and crawled, sliding along on his belly to deliver the bricks, two at a time to the work site. His was a labour of love and was not to go unrewarded. The following morning, when he woke up, he could walk! The first miracle of St Anne de Beaupre had occurred

By 1688 it had become a site of local pilgrimage, and by 1707, Native Americans (who in Canada are called the First Nations) were coming to venerate the saint they called "Grandmother in the Faith."



"The miraculous statue of St Anne, which stands in the north transept, is very beautiful. It has been rightly said that her face, as shown in this image, expresses the kindness of a mother and the dignity of a queen. On her right arm, she holds the infant Mary. Her left hand points to heaven - the source of the power she shares with her daughter; and at her feet are countless crutches which bear tangible evidence of this power. She wears the brilliant diadem with which she was crowned when Pope Leo XIII proclaimed her Patroness of Quebec and she is surrounded by the golden rays which are symbolic of her glory in heaven."
- St Anne, Grandmother of Our Saviour

The ex-voto chapel is full with crutches, canes, folded up wheelchairs and symbols indicating the type of healing that has taken place - it is truly a house of miracles and the beautiful statue of St Anne is more commonly referred to as - The Statue of Miracles, carved from a massive single piece of oak, it is painted colourfully and wears a gold crown with diamonds, rubies and pearls.

No comments: