Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Tuesday's Child, full of Grace

My dear friend Marilyn said something to me the other day, we were talking about the birth of her beatutiful baby, Anna Grace. Little Anna was born of a Tuesday, which is the traditional day of the week dedicated to Saint Anne. Marilyn mentioned that her eldest daughter Abbey had said little Anna Grace will have to be called our triple helping of grace as Anne means "grace of God" and the children's poem says "Tuesday's child is full of grace!!"

Mondays child is fair of face,


Tuesdays child is full of grace,


Wednesdays child is full of woe,


Thursdays child has far to go,


Fridays child is loving and giving,


Saturdays child works hard for his living,


And the child that is born on the Sabbath day


Is bonny and blithe, and good and gay.

I had never thought of it before, but what an interesting connection. I don't imagine this poem has any Catholic origins but facinating to see Tuesday's children 'full of grace'.

Yesterday I finally subscribed to The Shrine of St Anne de Beaupre's, 'The Annals of Saint Anne' that is now in it's 120th year. The St Anne de Beaupre's site says this of the publication:

"The Annals of Saint Anne is a bi-monthly publication. For more than 120 years, it has kept you in contact with the Shrine and offers a variety of Christian reflections, special reports, and testimonies of favours obtained by St. Anne’s intercession. The Annals is definitely a valuable source of information and an undeniable contributor for your spiritual journey with God."

I highly anticipate the arrival of my first edition and will post again once I have read it.



1 comment:

Marilyn said...

Dear Anne - you beat me to it! I still have not done my "triple helping of grace post" !! BTW - do you have a prayer of thanksgiving to Saint Anne - I will talk to you more about it soon.

Thank you for introducing me to all the Saint Anne devotions - as I will post - Anna was conceived on our Blessed Mother's birthday, and by my dates due on the the Feast of the Visitation - she really is a blessed little girl. And I am so grateful for the intercession of Saint Anne through a tough pregnancy.