Thursday, February 12, 2009

Blessed salt and herb ginder

We have always bought 'herbal salt' instead of having a traditional salt and pepper shaker. The herbal salts contain finely ground seasoning herbs and sea salt. It is not cheap, usually $4 - 7 dollars depending on the brand bought, we would usually go through a bottle every two weeks.

A few days ago I made up my own mix of herbal salt. I bought the Himalayan crystal salt in bulk. I then took it to Father to have blessed. Blessed salt is a sacramental and can then be used for my salutary purposes including adding it to meals:

"A few grains in drinking water or used in cooking or as food seasoning often bring astonishing spiritual and physical benefits"

"As with the use of Sacraments, much depends on the faith and devotion of the person using salt or any sacramental. This faith must be Jesus-centered, as was the faith of the blind man in John 9; he had faith in Jesus, not in the mud and spittle used by Jesus to heal him."

I remember listening to Father Corapi, when he said he knew a friend who ran a drug rehabilitation center and added blessed salt to the food for all the recovering addicts - she knew well this was a battle against the devil at that point and this was the perfect use for this powerful church sacramental.

I keep this blessed salt and the grinder separate from all the normal pantry items, so that I am the only one (or dh) who uses it at meal times, seasoning each plate, rather than children helping themselves, willy-nilly.


I didn't buy an empty grinder, I bought one that already had seasoning in it, but I wasn't 100% happy with the indgredients since it contained chilli..and chilli tends to be a stomach irritant, whereas cayenne would be my choice of chilli-hot seasoning..

So I emptied the grinder and started to mix my own bowl of seasoning as you can see on the left, I used the following ingredients:

chunks of blessed salt
dried horsetail
dried stinging nettle
dried comfrey
dried hawthorn berries '

Actually, many of these herbs are blessed too, here is my post about the special feast day for it here.

You can make up any mix you like, using your favourite herbs, you can add other things as well, like dried pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, kelp (for iodine), sesame seeds, peppercorns if you like a bit of normal pepper (though it can be a stomach irritant as well)

Here is my herbal salt on our breakfast, eggs on sourdough toast, it was enjoyed by everyone!

This is certainly a great way to get good herbs into the family, in small but daily doses and save money on commercial preparations.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! It looks delicious, and healthy too. BTW there are many kinds of herb grinders, you should try them out too.

Unknown said...

Herb grinders are often used to prepare spices and cooking herbs for culinary preparation. They are also used to prepare tobacco, as well as other legal herbs. I very much look forward to read this post.

herb grinders

Unknown said...

It is a really nice post... i like it much more as compared to others...This device made to grind herbs and spices into small bits.

Herb Grinders