Friday, October 9, 2009

Vatican Statement on Medjugorje

I read over at Catholic Culture today:

"Bosnian Cardinal Vinko Puljic has indicated that he expects a Vatican statement on the alleged Marian apparitions at Medjugorje, probably before the end of this calendar year.

While millions of pilgrims have visited Medjugorje in the past 20 years, the reported visits by the Virgin Mary and the messages relayed by the Medjugorje "seers" have never been endorsed by the Catholic hierarchy. Local bishops have been increasingly vocal in discouraging to "the Medjugorje phenomenon," and earlier this year Bishop Ratko Peric of the local Mostar diocese placed tight restrictions on the activities of groups that seek to promote the alleged apparitions and messages. Bishop Peric told his flock, "let us not act as if these 'apparitions were recognized and worthy of faith."

However, while local bishops have shown their skepticism and even open disapproval of the reports from Medjugorje, the Vatican has not yet issued a statement addressing the validity of the reported apparitions. "We are now awaiting a new directive" from the Vatican that could help to resolve questions about the Medjugorje phenomenon, Cardinal Puljic said. He added that he expected to discuss the issue during a November visit to the Vatican."



1 comment:

Aussie Therese said...

there has been so much controversy from this reported apparition. Hearing the message of Medjugorje was the reason my husband converted to the Catholic faith and it certainly had an affect on my faith.