Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Feast of St Thomas in the month of the Precious Blood

Today is the feast of St Thomas. Very famously known for his doubts. People are often referred to as “Doubting Thomases.”

Such a good and holy apostle who faulted briefly, will always be associated with that sort of lack of faith!

But it is these very apostles and disciples (Peter, Thomas, Matthew & Paul) that give us great hope in the Precious Blood of Christ, that redeeming blood that cleanses us from our sins and allows us to strive ever forwards.

Here is what scripture has to say, John Chapt 20: 24-29:

24 Now Thomas, one of the twelve, who is called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
25 The other disciples therefore said to him: We have seen the Lord. But he said to them: Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the place of the nails, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.
26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them. Jesus cometh, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said: Peace be to you.
27 Then he saith to Thomas: Put in thy finger hither, and see my hands; and bring hither thy hand, and put it into my side; and be not faithless, but believing.
28 Thomas answered, and said to him: My Lord , and my God.
29 Jesus saith to him: Because thou hast seen me, Thomas, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen and have believed.


In the beautiful image above, we see St Thomas placing his fingers right into the very source of that last gush of Precious Blood that came forth from Our Lord. Every last drop of blood Our Saviour shed for us. For love of us!

John Chapt 19:34:

34 But one of the soldiers with a spear opened his side, and immediately there came out blood and water.

So I have chosen a beautiful prayer of St Gertrude from The Precious Blood & Mother manual on pg 58

Prayer to the Wounded Side of Jesus

O Lord Jesus, compassionate Pelican, who cleansed us in Thine own Blood, I give Thee thanks for the sweet and adorable Wound of love which Thou didst receive on the Cross when Thine all-conquering love opened Thy sweet-flowing side, and wounded Thy most Sacred Heart with an arrow of love. Blessed for ever be that life-giving stroke, and that hallowed wound, and blessed be the adorable Blood and water of salvation which gushed forth from it, to wash away all our sins! I am all defiled, wash me, O compassionate Jesus! Pour upon me that all-efficacious water. I am weak, strengthen me by the unction of that Sacred Heart, and grant that, at my last hour, my portion and heritage be but one drop of that Divine Stream. O most loving Jesus! By Thy pierced Heart, I pray Thee, wound my heart with that arrow of love, abide in it, that it may be filled with Thy glowing love for ever. Amen.

No comments: