Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Pictorial History of the Catholic Church in Australia - Volume One - Part One

It is very hard to find any suitable resource of Australian Catholic history for children. So this 3 volume set that I have (a photocopy from the original that is now out of print) is a treasure indeed! The homeschooling mother who has supplied this photocopied version to other mothers at cost only, was given permission to do this as long as no money was being made from it.

I painstakingly scanned my three volumes a few years back thinking I could use pages and images for designing a notebook or project material for my children.

My dear friend Marilyn is studying Australia with her children at present and had asked what was there in regards to religion and Australia. So I thought that this is a resource worth sharing here so that Catholic mothers everywhere can share and enjoy these books as much as I have with my children. We use to read 6 pages every week and at the end of those 6 pages, my children would beg for me to go on! I found also that they retained alot of information from them and that they loved the cartoon images. It also contains an Australian Catholic timeline and a back section of detailed notes for many of the pages.

There are 3 volumes as I mentioned, Volume One covers history from 1787 to 1835. Volume Two is from 1835 to 1886. Volume Three separates into sections covering individual States.

Volume One that starts today, will be uploaded in 6 parts.

You can click open each and every page below and print or read at an even larger size.

To be continued at page 11 soon...


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are also starting our Continent study, using some of Marilyn's ideas and some from Serendipity. Thank yo for posting these pages -- what a wonderful treasure for you and resource for us!!

Leanne said...

thank you so much for this. I have been searching for something like this.

Marilyn said...

This is wonderful Anne - thank you so much. I am going to link you later. Thanks for the Mary Mackillop suggestion too.

Abby says that she is sure in a few years there will be a lot of Australian saints - between your family, Erin's and Gae's!!

Veronica Brandt said...

Thanks Anna! This is quite a treasure - I would like to have a go at making a pdf version. I'll let you know if I get something done. Makes you wonder how much has been lost - I can hardly believe this book is so little known! You'd think it'd be reprinted and spread through schools at least!

Cheryl said...

What a wonderful series! I was just looking for something on Catholics in Australia and couldn't find hardly anything! This will be great for our Continent study next year! Thank you so, so, much!!!
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Maybe we should study your country Anne ! maybe for a summer project next yr .I found a book of Australia poems for the kids and have been saving it for a special time .
I wonder if there is a canadian version like this around it is so hard to find canadain catholic info here . Bob's aunty the mother superior has given me old books every now and then from the convent library but so far no history .
anyway I am really enjoying the pictures as well as the read ;-)
Thanks again . off to bed now !