Monday, July 16, 2007

Feast of Our Lady of Mt Carmel

(The Virgin of Carmel Moretto da Bresciac. 1522 Gallerie dell'Accademia, Venice)

Today is the feast of Our Lady of Mt Carmel – it is a Marian feast that is special to me. Our family has always had a close connection with the Carmelites, my parents are third order Carmelites.

My confirmation saint is St Theresa of Avila the great reformer of the Order and Doctor of the Church (along with St Therese another Carmelite Nun). I have worn the scapular since childhood, my husband also. Our children are enrolled in the scapular as well.

To read more about the Scapular and its meaning pop over to visit Ruth, she has a beautiful posting for the feast! Here is the beautiful prayer from the Precious Blood manual to Our Lady of Mt Carmel I posted about earlier in the week. Also, have a look at our scapular cake we had tonight!

I wanted to write something about the origins of the Carmelites but I am tired again tonight (I think I am under the influence of too much chocolate cake!) but I have found a link from the Australian Carmelite website that explains the origins and history so well that I will link you to it, I hope you have the time to stop by and read, its origins are rooted in the Old Testament in a special way and it is an order that has great devotion to the Mother of God.

It has given as so many great saints, including St Therese of the Little Flower, who gave us a profound and simple spirituality that could be adopted by all. If you have never read A Story of a Soul, I pray that you will consider reading it.

Over at 4Real one of the patrons is St. Teresa Benedicta (Edith Stein) a Jewish convert to the faith who died in a Aushwitz concentration camp during WWII. St John of the Cross who gave us The Dark Night of the Soul and I will stop there because I am afraid that I would mention too many but possibly leave out some that should receive a recommendation.

Their great saints and theologians have promoted devotion to the Mother of God and often championed the mystery of her Immaculate Conception. And on that note, I will place a beautiful prayer in Honour of the Immaculate Conception from the Precious Blood & Mother manual on pg 25.

Three Offerings of the Precious Blood in Thanksgiving for the Privilege of Mary’s Immaculate Conception (Recited before the Stations of the Cross)

Eternal Father, in union with the Most Holy and Immaculate Virgin, and in her name, and in union with all the Blessed in Heaven and all the Elect upon earth, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Jesus Christ in thanksgiving for the gifts and privileges conferred on Thy most obedient Daughter, especially in her Immaculate Conception. I offer Thee also this Most Precious Blood for the conversion of all sinners, for the propagation and exaltation of our Holy Faith, for the conservation and prosperity of the Sovereign Pontiff of Rome and according to his intentions.
Glory Be to the Father etc.

Eternal and Incarnate Word, in union with the Most Holy and immaculate Virgin, and in her name, and in union with all the Saints and Angels in Heaven and all the Elect upon earth, I offer Thee Thy Most Precious Blood, in thanksgiving for the gifts and privileges conferred on Thy most loving Mother, especially in her Immaculate Conception. I offer Thee also Thy Most Precious Blood for the conversion of all sinners, for the propagation and exaltation of our Holy Faith, for the conservation and prosperity of the Sovereign Pontiff of Rome and according to his intentions.
Glory Be to the Father etc.

Holy and Eternal Spirit, in union with and in honour of the Immaculate Virgin Mary and in her name, in union with all the Angels and Saints in Heaven and all the Elect upon earth, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Jesus Christ in thanksgiving for the gifts and privileges conferred on Thy most faithful Spouse, especially in her Immaculate Conception. I offer Thee also this Most Precious Blood for the conversion of all sinners, for the propagation and exaltation of our Holy Faith, for the conservation and prosperity of the Sovereign Pontiff of Rome and according to his intentions.
Glory Be to the Father etc.

Eternal Father, I offer Thee the Most Precious Blood of Jesus Christ in expiation of my sins and for the wants of Holy Church.

(Our Lady of Mount Carmel with angels and souls in Purgatory. Baroque sculpture
from Beniaján Spain)

3 comments:

Aimee said...

I love this feast day because it is also my oldest girl's birthday. Although I don't use her real name on my blog, we did name her partly after this feast day. It makes me happy to think that she sahres her day with the Blessed Mother :)

Alice Gunther said...

Happy Feast!!!

Alice Gunther said...

Happy Feast!!!